View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_w202 View Post
My 92500Sl was "perfect" when I bought it about a year and a half ago, 2-owner garaged car, original paint, all records, and I've still spent about $4k getting it "perfect" over the past year. I still have about $2k of work to bring it to OE spec.

But I agree the 92 is the most desirable year of the m119 cars; more HP, that "original" look on the S and SL. They're complex cars. I'm happy to put money into mine because it gets comments every time I take it out. It looks better than any 20yo car on the road IMO. If you've got money, time and patience, the original vintages are highly rewarding. The 94+ cars just seem more bland and "generic" (IMO). Monotone paint, 3-valve V8s, etc.
Couldn't agree more. If I suddenly had 15K Euro for a 'new' car, I would keep my 1991 300CE-24 Sportline and put the whole 15K into that. I've had it for 15 years and I'd be happy to have it for another 20.

And I don't subscribe to the argument that, "... but the car will never be worth that much."

A car's worth what it costs to replace, not what someone else will pay for it. In my opinion, it would cost loads to replace mine if it had just had 15K spent on it.

RayH

PS: I also laugh when I hear adverts saying, "... including free gift 'worth' 500". Hogwash! The gift may be priced at 500 but what it's worth is another thing entirely.

Shall I carry on rambling?