View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 AM

Raising the dead - 300sdl killed by gasoline

I have just purchased a '87 300sdl that is not running. According to the PO, it was filled with gasoline, died and then sat for almost year. I have never owned a Mercedes, but have had a several diesels before.

I have taken out the fuel filters and both of them looked and smelled like 100% gas. Which, seems like a good sign that the engine didn't have enough diesel in it to run on and have a higher chance of killing something internally.

I have swapped in new fuel filters and disconnectedness the fuel lines, rigging a jug of diesel for it to drink from, bypassing all the old hose behind the clear plastic filter. Also, I have filled the threaded filter with diesel. It has been cranking and acts like it's at least trying to do something. The plan is to cycle the gas out and fill it with diesel by trying to turn it over. Nothing has come out of the return line yet.

Questions:

1. Does it sounds like I am on the right track, anything I missed?

2. I found after a little investigation, that the OP zip-tied one of the rubber hose on top of the cylinders closed. Any ideas on why this would be done?

3. Where do I need to attach it?

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/86449574@N03/7919293480/[IMG]

Thanks for the help, just looking to get this thing on the road!

Last edited by southofantarctica; 09-03-2012 at 12:44 PM.