View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Trying to start om617 on engine hoist

I am trying to get an engine started while out of the car. The engine was last run about 18 months ago when I parked it. It ran well at the time. I removed it from the car about 3 months ago and it has been sitting on the ground attached to the hoist until now. The transmission is attached to it as well. I put some fuel hose onto the primer pump and return line on the top of the filter and then into a can of diesel then primed it. I made sure the transmission was in park. Covered the oil pressure guage line so it would not spew oil. I attached some wires to the starter and tried starting it. It turns over and unburned fuel is coming out of the exhaust, but it is not starting. I am letting the glow plugs cycle for about 30 seconds before I start it. I have also tried using starting fluid. Won't start. The engine is not spinning all that fast, though. I think the starter may be a little weak. I never had a problem when it was in the car. I think the battery I am using is good. Is there something I am missing? Is there something that needs to be attached to vacuum on the IP? I have the throttle at about half open. I need to get this running tonight as someone is coming to buy the engine in the morning and I would really like to get it running. I am sure the engine ran well when I parked it last. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.