View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Control Freak

Update:

Got up to Vstech's this morning and started to work on the car. It has a few issues, none are the end of the world, nothing more $$ and time can't fix...

- We thought the belt tensioner was causing a cricket-like sound under the hood. Well the tensioner bearings were pretty worn but it was not the problem. Turned out it was the air conditioner pulley, we had about .25" of play on the pulley. The pulley was floating back and forth on the clutch housing and rubbing against the front of the clutch. This is what happened to http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/326307-my-87-sedan-i-sold-threw-belt.html. Only his ac compressor let go and shredded the belt. We caught mine in time. 603 owners take heed, if you hear the crickets, don't put it off!

- Pulled the intake, those 6mm socket head screws are a pain especially the very last one for #6 up against the firewall. The intake is full of black goo, not constricted, but reaaaaly dirty. Contemplating EGR delete. John going to try carb clean dip and see if that cuts it. That black goo is the most awful grimey messy stuff. Mike Rowe dirty.

- Changed the glow plugs, fortunately they all came out without a problem. We had a problem where it would not start smooth, I think #1 was not firing. A couple had spotty electrical connections and the element were covered with a thin layer of carbon. 6 new Bosch plugs, hope that fixes it.

- Changed the vacuum pump for a new Pierburg unit. Old one hadn't thrown its bearings yet but better safe than sorry...

I got to get back in touch with Phil Monday morning, need more part$$...
We will try again next weekend.
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech

Last edited by jay_bob; 09-29-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: forgot we did the vacuum pump