View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM

I have an 89

They are not a bad daily driver. I have been using mine for about 3 years and its been good. It gets a rock steady 20MPG with a mix of ciy and highway driving. Power is an issue with these cars. Its quite quick on the freeway and mine runs at 3000+ rpm at 75mph. Off the line its not so quick and any request for a jack rabbit start will have it shift to first and spool up that M103 so it can deliver.

A few things that I think to watch for in addition to "Guru"s list:

1. Make sure it idles good! If it has low vacuum at idle and shakes a lot it gets annoying. If all the vacuum hoses are good then its a needle in a haystack to find the issue. You can throw $$$ at it and get minimal gains.

2. Air conditioning. If yours works that's great! If not then its expensive and labor intensive to fix. I fixed mine and its a job but nothing time and money cant handle.

3. Fan clutch. If you daily drive in the heat make sure you have a good fan clutch or cooling fan.

4. Parts. Locally sourcing parts is hard in my area. The local napa, autozone and schucks don't have much of anything for these in stock. Plan ahead and order parts from this site or another site and be willing to wait for a better price and better quality.

Pro's

1. Its very comfortable and easy to drive.
2. If you do your own work its not bad to work on. The fuel system needs reading and understanding.
3. Parts prices are not to bad if you order online and can wait a little extra time for them.
4. Has a great heater. It puts heat in the cabin on a frigid day before any vehicle I have driven in the past.
2005 Honda CRV

Gone but not forgotten
2001 F150 Supercrew - The Screw
1966 Ford LTD 390 - The Big G!
1995 Mercury sable
1986 Subaru DL
1982 Ford EXP - my first car