View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:13 AM

Cullen,

I would agree that there's plenty of examples of carpenters that aren't good business people, mechanics that are terrible at running a business etc. If you can't figure out how to install a bulb, then what business do you have being in business? There's also the gougers, which would charge $25 to buy & install the light bulb.

BTW, I often wonder what people are thinking buying off brand (or Pep Boys) tires.....really? You're going up on the highway with your family on those?.....I know they're DOT approved and prolly made by a brand name company, but exactly where did they cut a corner (so to speak)?

All things being equal, the tire shop I was referring to DOES carry some of the tires you'd purchase on line. Free mounting, balance and rotation at recommended intervals.

So if she (the tire shop) is $10-15 more than on line (or there about), she pays taxes in my town, hires folks....all that community "stuff", I give her the business. That's all I'm saying....

It's the lack of putting a value on local guy, versus always being price driven. It's the Wal-Mart mentality that's driven the "all Chinese" model. The day you need the local guy, he/she may be out of business, because they couldn't compete on price alone.

Tire Rack's model of having an agreement with local shops is an interesting one.....one big warehouse that stocks....many folks to do the servicing and maintain. No need to carry excess inventory. Just not sure how lucrative it is for the local guy?

Again, just my .02

PK