View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
There is a much better clamp available for silicone hose. The hose substrates ability to not deform further with time and temperature is the issue or at least one of them to me with clamps as you mention Brian.

I have experimented with using a glue on metal barbs that will act as a common adhesive point for one applied to the hose material. There is no single purpose glue that will cover metal and hosing materials all by itself well that I am aware of.

I am a great believer in glue joints constructed or designed well. With high pressure clamps if the hose material is pretty stable. A saftey wire might be incorporated to aid in pressure not blowing the hose off if the clamps action effect relaxes somewhat over time. This safety wire fixated to the clamp and forward to a larger clamp or front wrapped around or anchored forward the fitting where possible.

Many hose materials will rot and soften with age has to be kept in consideration. Vulkanization of the hose material to the metal does not seem to be enough if it occurs with these cooler hoses and with certain materials it must.

Typically a coolant hose for example can form a better grip than that retained over time with a standard clamp. More self adjusting wider spring type clamps may be better but cannot generate the initial pressure required for this application. Unless somewhere out there may have extreme tension units available in comparison to the standard engine coolant ones.

It does seem strange to me that the design allows full oil pump pressure to be developed in the hoses at any time. Without looking at it too hard I would have expected just the restriction of the oil cooler if much at all between the input pressure applied and the atmosphere besides the neglishable hose friction restriction to have been a better design overall. This making it into a fixed pressure loop by design during some of the operational time does not seem to be that smart. Although it does avoid the initial cost of a scondary oil pump function for oil cooling only.

I would stay away from any silicone based type of hose. It has the durability we are looking for in many applications. I just have never obtained any trust in terminating it to barbs or whatever. Or a fairer statement perhaps is I have never acomplished it to my total satisfaction. What success I have experienced took too much effort in comparison to other materials but did work. I needed the ultra violet protection.

The important thing is that replacement of these hoses should be a general maintenance item. Especially if it is felt they are thirty years old. A person can seriously live to regret ignoring them. I do not think the manufacturer and their engineers had any conception of just how long these cars would remain in service originally.
I degreased the Barbs and the ID of the Hose with Brake Cleaner and coated the Barbs with Silicon Sealant. In my experience Silicon Sealant also somewhat glues stuff together if the surface is dry and degreased; and, of couse I used the Clamps after that.

If I remember correctly I spent extra to get the US made shielded type clamps.

The Mercedes Oil Cooler Hose Barb is not the proper one for the SlipFit/Push Lock type Hose but actually with the Proper Fitting you are not supposed to need a Hose Clamp.

Clearly the Stock Hoses have lasted a long time.

Some have had early failures with new aftermarket Oil Cooler Hoses.