View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Registered Slacker

These piecemeal laws do open up a can of worms, that's for sure.

Sometimes the feds lead the states (sometimes kicking and screaming), but this time it's the feds who are -- IMHO -- behind the curve. I'm not saying the feds should mandate legalization everywhere, but they should amend the federal law at the least to negate its application in states where it has been legalized.

Buzzkill: Feds fire warning shot over pot legalization

Quote:
That's because the federal government still bans pot growing and possession, regardless of what state laws say.
Last night, just hours before legislation legalizing pot in her state went into effect, U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan of Washington warned residents that "growing, selling or possessing any amount of marijuana remains illegal under federal law."
Quote:
Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes encouraged celebrants to enjoy their highs inside closed doors.
"I think that they should acknowledge this newfound right," he told NPR station KUOW. "I think they should celebrate in the privacy of their homes if they choose to do so. And be thankful that we’re no longer arresting some 10,000 Washingtonians a year in the state of Washington and spending well over $100 million in law enforcement resources on that."
Quote:
It's unclear whether the Justice Department will try to stop the decriminalization of pot in Washington and Colorado. The laws in both states allow adults 21 and older to possess a small amount of marijuana, which will be sold in state-licensed stores and taxed heavily, potentially bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars a year for school, health care and government needs.
Full article: Buzzkill: Feds fire warning shot over pot legalization - U.S. News