View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 02:38 PM

EXTREME positive rear camber

GAWD WHAT A MESS... LEMME TRY TO GET THESE THREADS SORTED OUT

I hate to keep making separate threads... but the other ones I've started about this entire situation are not getting replies.

Synopsis: W124 mowed over curb at 35mph + with both right wheels. I've fixed the front wheel with new parts, but the rear is still messed up.

The right rear wheel needed a new tierod AND thrust link, as mine were both bent. The tierod had an S curve in it. But I STILL have this huge positive camber issue. Were talking the top of the tire sticks out like 3-4 inches from the bottom.

Everything looks fine. Nothing appears bent, aside from what I replaced. The Lower control arm(spring link according to MB FSM) inner mounting bolt was pushed in to it's limit, I can see where it use to be because of the disturbed dirt. But it moved at most 1/2". So I'm starting to wonder if the control arm is bent upward, thus bringing the bottom of the wheel in.

Look at the pics and tell me what you think.

This view is looking forward, and it's the left rear wheel.

Blue line shows approximate angle of positive camber. Small green dot shows position of control arm inner bolt.. I'm having problems getting it back to where it was, doesn't seem to "want" to naturally rest where it was. 4 and 5 are the parts replaced.

This is what my idea of an upwardly bent control arm would look like. NOTICE: the wheel spins true without any wobble, indicating that nothing in the wheel/hub is bent.

Past
95 E420
87 300D Turbo 5spd
90 300TE
83 300SD
85 300TD
92 400E
85 190D

Last edited by ashedd; 12-24-2012 at 03:03 PM.