View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Class Guru View Post
I replaced one recently with a new Bosch, and it looked and fit exactly like the original. They do fade and get rock-marked over time though, so replacing both will be more rewarding.

So, what's the deal with the Euro lamps - do they offer more light than the USA versions? I replaced my bulbs with Sylvania a few years back, but still not too great.

DG
I've not owned a W126 but I figure the NAM lights are similar to the W124 and W201 US versions. If so then the bulb used is a 9004, and the output of the low beam is only 45W, whereas the Euro version uses standard H4 bulbs w/ 55W on low beam. This alone tells me the light output is increased in the Euro version on the beam pattern you use most often (low beam).

Couple this with the superior beam pattern of the Euro lights, and you get good light where you need the light to be. This is also speaking from experience with my W201 and W124, which have both been converted to Hella and Bosch Euro lights, respectively. My W123 had a similar fate, and now has Bosch Euro lights too.

Agree completely on your statement of replacing both if you wish to keep the NAM lights (NAM = North American spec). I replaced the original Bosch units on my W123 with replacement Bosch (not sourced from the dealer). For my W123, back then they were $50 each. I still have them since I kept the W123 NAM lights when I switched over to the Euro lights.