Thread: Lug Bolts W126
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Mercedes Tech

These bolts with the inaccesiable wheel design are just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozen View Post
Mike,

You didn't exactly say, but I'll bet none of the bolts you are breaking are factory. I can't begin to count how many 126 wheels I've removed and installed as an MB mechanic and never had a problem unless the car was last at a chain tirestore. I know the price of 20 bolts adds up, but factory is your best bet.

Good luck,
Peter
I run Independent Mercedes in New Orleans.I have been in business for myself since 1976. this has been a very common problem with the w126,one of my favorite Mercedes models, since they switched to the new look mag from the orginal 15" mag with exposed bolts about 1982.
They always break just under the head of the bolt as if the heads on this stupid bolt was orginally just welded on, leaving an inch and 1/4 of the post in the way of drilling the bolt out.I mean they all break off at the same point on the bolts.To drill this bolt out then you need a set of cobalt very hard high speed drill bits and you must drill through an inch and 1/4 hard steel bofore you start drilling through the part that holds the wheel on.