View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM
CJTucker

1992 300E 251K miles shaking after 65 mph

Where to start? I am bummed. I am in the middle of nowhere and when I ran my 300E 4 matic earlier this evening I noticed two things different. First, I always let it warm up on start-up for at least 3 minutes. This way shifting is smooth. I have no problems with shifting or even bumps in RPMs. I did notice however that (1) when pulling out from park and turning there is now a semi-high pitched whining (when turning the steering wheel). That noise quickly goes away; (2) it seemed to be fine but I did notice a slight shaking (not fast pulse but slow pulse and heavy) but that was minor. Then, because I was concerned, I brought it out to the interstate and ran it up to about 60 - 65 mphs. At some point it began shaking rather violently (very disconcerting as I have 200 miles to drive tomorrow just to get anywhere near a mechanic I trust and home!). It does not seem to do this at 60 mph. So, I am hoping I will be able to drive the 200 miles without problems at 60 mph just to get home.

Two other things I notice was a very slight elevation in temp. just above 80c, but only until I got rolling around a bit (so this may be my mind playing with my emotions because I fear I am losing my baby now) and that my oil pressure dropped one notch, so where it was just below 3, which has always been normal, it was at 2. I was low on oil, another usual occurrence after about 2 and a half full tanks, and so I put the regular 2 quarts in. Same pressure issue, same vibration after 65.

I just bought a 1992 400E with 150K for $250 that needs about $3500 of work, but does not leak oil and has no engine issues. You can bet after I have had this 300E that I will invest the money in that car because, well, words cannot express the reliability of these vehicles.

But, I digress. How in the hell (or will I) get home? Can this be fixed with fuel additive, how could it be anything bad (i.e., catastrophic) if the car runs normal up to 65 mph (and I mean really normal speed, shift, smooth, with the exception of the new oil pressure drop)?

If anyone at all could give me ANY advice whatsoever, I feel I am in a real bind right now and need to know if I should risk driving this car 200 miles tomorrow at 60 mph or if I will even make it. I also don't know if I will get a notice of any message responses on my personal e-mail so I will try and stay on here. Thanks to anyone who has any ideas whatsoever, in advance. Thanks, CJTucker

Last edited by cjtucker; 01-12-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: correcting grammar sentence