View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkenvol View Post
If this were mine, I'd go to my local bolt shop and buy 2 washers (recently purchased some 3" OD and they had larger on hand) with the OD of the indented flat area. Most likely the ID would have to the be drilled out larger to match the current opening for the shock. The idea would be to sandwich the flat area with the broken bolt tab between the 2 washers. Clamp the washers together and drill the 2 bolt holes for the shock mount. Weld 2 nuts to the top washer. Clean the broken flange really well. If I couldn't access the top of the arm to position the top washer I'd cut a slot in the bottom flange opposite the torn spot and slide the washer in from below. Drill a few hole in the bottom washer and arm flange to allow spot welds up to the top washer. Bolt the washers in place without the shock and spot weld it all together. Coat to prevent rust. Install shock and call it good.

Good luck!
This is not a bad idea at all. I think I could probably make it work out well. I don't mind the welding. I am just not sure where to get the big washer! I dont think I've ever seen one locally that size.

BUT WAIT. There is always McMaster-Carr.

So basically, two of those. Drill press two holes in them for the bolts, welt appropriate size nuts on top plate...grind out inner diameter so shock fits... Sammich them to the existing control arm. Tack weld them to each other? Tack weld them to the arm--or no? And call it a day?

(4/11/2020: Hi Everyone! I am still taking orders and replying to emails/PMs/etc, I appreciate your patience in these crazy times. Stay safe and healthy!)

82 300SD 145k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k