View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 07:38 PM

I agree with Chuck. Metric is the best in the business and I have personally installed three engines rebuilt by them and have had excellent results. Going to MB for an exchange engine will be outrageously expensive, but if you love the car that much, then certainly buy one from Germany. I mean, who can top a factory-exchange engine? Of course I'd count on at least double that of Metric's price, if not more. As I recall, some years back, when I worked at a dealer, we put in a BRAND NEW longblock in a 420SEL and I think it was around $25,000 for the engine from MB. And we also did a 6.9 (they had one brand new unit, still crated up in Germany). That was $43,000 for just the engine.

Metric's engines have a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty, same as Mercedes.

NOW, the bottom ends on the 4.5's are indeed bulletproof. However, for the $4,600 cost of just doing the top end, you might as well up the ante a little and get a completely rebuilt longblock from Metric. While the engine is out, why not clean and repaint the engine bay too?

Think of it this way..With a rebuilt engine from Metric, you'll essentially be driving an almost brand new 280 4.5 sedan, at least mechanically.

Do remember this though, your longblock from Metric won't include all the ancillary equipment, so make sure your current alternator, A/C compressor, power steering pump AND fuel injection are in good shape. They will have to be swapped from the old engine to the rebuilt one.

Good luck. Save your car!!!