View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Rod Bender Ownership is not for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARK1007 View Post
My friend that owns local shop has another friend I know bringing in a 1991 350sdl I believe, he said he thinks OM603 engine, one owner, regularly serviced. If it doesn't have the 3.5L, should I jump on for 4k or so?

I also can buy my old 83 sd back for about the same money.

The 350 appeals to me, it's the turquoise and I need to verify the power to see if it's the bad one, anything else.

Thanks
If you have a need to know and control your car from the bottom up and from top down, then the Rod Bender is not for you. You are better off driving a diesel Lexus or getting a Chevy pickup or even buying a Cadillac. Ask me how I know? Well, I am a control type guy as far as things that I own. Doctors and God are the only entities that I want to allow to have control over my life. Therefore, I was a fool to buy a Rod Bender. But at the time I didn’t know that trying to figure the car out would become an addiction, but it did.

The fact that you are running away from that Rod Bender is testament that you got some great advice from your mechanic friend at the machine shop. He just saved you about $20,000.00, easily. By the time I figure up all of my failures to learn the car, to avoid all of Mercedes pit falls and traps and incompetence of engineers and women designing major components on Mercedes Benz cars, I figure I have spent over $70,000.00.

You have to learn engines, fuel pumps, electricity, car alignment, know good information from bad information when you see it, invent tools, learn how to laugh when Mercedes is obviously screwing you when they use bubble gum to hold the cars together, but the bubble gum never breaks unless you attempt to learn the car and on and on.

But, I am an American and just driving a car and have to defer to somebody else to solve your car problem and you are basically an idiot with a pocket full of money, but know nothing about your car except how to pay for it is not kosher with me.

Long story short, the Rod Bender can be conquered, but it won’t be cheap nor done overnight, not like working and knowing how to fix a Chevy 350.

I wished I could have run away from my first Mercedes Diesel, but the diesel technology intrigued me too much and I had to try to learn it. Looking back, it took just 10 years out of my life to master the Rod Bender. If I could have just bought a motor and paid the mechanic to play around with my Mercedes diesel, there is no telling what I would have used knowledge for. As it is, I am just a Master Mercedes Rod Bender guy.

Oh, I even learned how to use bubble gum on my Mercedes, but I never use it in critical places and always remove it where I find it. Also, a Master knows that he doesn’t know everything, but Masters know we can figure it out in time.

Anyway, driving Mercedes is not for everybody.

BenzDiesel