View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM

how much cooling required?

I deleted the cooling fan on my 300sd. I have ordered an electric fan controller with a probe that slips in between the cooling fins on the rad. I am now sourcing electric fans. All the hotrod and jeep guys rave over the two speed fan out of a 90-95 ford taurus as it has an integral shroud, low profile and massive air flow. The fan is reported to draw 90A on start up and the controller cannot handle that, so would require a heavy duty relay to be added to the circuit.

My question is how much cooling does this car really need? The taurus fan on high speed can cool a small block chev in texas heat, I am only trying to cool a 617 in canada. As of right now I am running NO FAN but will need one by summer. I cant even recall the stock viscous fan ever coming on, even stopped in traffic during the summer. Would a smaller FREE fan off a civic work or should I PURCHASE the taurus fan and a heavy duty relay?

It doesn't matter if you know what you're doing, as long as you look like you know what you're doing.