View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLGUY View Post
I don't believe anyone suggested that the tow bar be fastened to the bumper, so yes, "Attaching to the bumper is totally inadvisable" is agreed.
Attaching a tow bar base plate (home made or otherwise) to the place where the bumper attaches (and more) is the only advisable way. A plate could be made that sandwiches between the bumper shocks and the frame and another separate attachment point made, and that plate welded to the attachment points of the tow bar. I am sure (if it were my car) I could design and fabricate a base plate that would be able to lift the entire weight of the car if need be. I am also sure there are plenty of other people that could do the same or better....Rich
I am well aware of your skill in metal fabrication ()....my concern is with the thin sidewalls of the shock tube supports.....on the other hand I have never had the bumper off a 126 so they could be thicker than the 123.....but without serious reinforcement I would take the bet about supporting the car by the bumper mount bolts on a 123.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.