View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Ham Shanker

A Samsung S2 or S3 (Or a Google Nexus 4) will run you around $175-$250. Both of these phones can be setup as a wifihotspot. If you want a keyboard, get a Samsung Relay (It's great). This is peanuts compared to what you pay for a "free" phone on a monthly plan (typically $50/mo x 24 months=$1200).

Then get a pay as you go plan from one of your local providers who has coverage- AT&T, Straight Talk, T-Mobile. Depends on your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
All very nice IN THEORY. However, it matters not if the plan is $5, everything you can want BUT poor cell coverage. Even if you get excellent cell coverage, a wonderful company to work with but in my usual area, the signal is weak and sucks, it is meaningless to me.

I'd say that a person should find out what is good IN THEIR USUAL AREA. For instance, T-mobile was great (Heads and Shoulders above AT&T) to work with. However, in my workplace, I got 1 bar of signal. Behind the glass in the middle of the store, I lost half my calls which went to voicemail. For a business, it is unacceptable. As such, I had to go tell the hottie that gave me a trial run that I was returning the phone and why.

IMO, the PO should ensure that he/she/it has a return policy for the company, try out their phone and see which one has better signal before returning it. At which point, make the informed decision. A cheap price is meaningless if you lose half your calls. Do that, I would.
This right here.

I switched from Sprint to T-Mobile, and because of the random tower locations I now get AMAZING reception. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one at work who can make a call from his desk.