View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM

I can speak from plenty of personal experience as my '78 cd has been my dd since i got it in 2005 from Virginia beach.

i'm sure this car has it's share of issues but,from the pictures, id say it looks to be in decent shape.

What is the geographic location of this car? those rust spots on the front 1/4s is a bit troubling. you are going to have to investigate thoroughly for rust.

wearing of things like the top of the steering wheel,the brake pedal,shifter knob and the driver seat are going to be a more telling sign of the vehicles mileage and use that the OD. Most if not all '78 MBz OD had stop by now if they havnt been repaired yet. Those wear spots look indicative of 200k miles in my opinion.

Pretty much every system in this year w123 is super simple and robust except for the Climate Control system! That little bundle of joy in the front left side of the engine bay is called the climate control servo. Its hella complex and prone to fail. There are several solution options out there if this one is bad but you never know... mine worked when i got it for a couple years b4 it blew up. i got the electronic upgrade and its been 100% since. if the climate control blows air and the temp wheel controls from hot to cold on command then it works.

Go for a test drive and see if it starts easily, shifts all gears, steers decent, brakes ok and shuts down when you turn off the key.

Don't know what exactly you are needing in an automobile. If your willing and able to take on a car that most definitely WILL have its share of issues and will certainly need frequent maintenance to keep on the road just know what your getting into here.

If this is a decently maintained example with minimal rust and good engine compression it could potentially have 200k miles left in it.

good luck

former members
1984 300D "Blues Mobile"

1978 300CD "El Toro"