Thread: 500SL EURO
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
Respectfully, Emmerich, you have no idea what you're talking about
Exactly what are you referring to when you suggest that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Was the car imported after 1986? If so, it would be a pretty rare thing indeed as the government put an end to the private imports in 1985. If it was imported in 1985 or earlier, then I'm not aware of any laws that force owners to retrofit high level brake lights to older models. It is pretty common to see them added by owners who wanted to make their cars look newer then they are.

I've owned many Euro cars including an 88 560SEC that was imported through Canada in the 90's and none have had a 3rd brake light installed.

Fred also responded to the Op comment stated following: Original Pirelli Cinturatos CN 36's 205-70's are long gone except for the original spare tire. Replacement U.S. tires of same size have a much wider sidewall that fit whole fender.

205/70R15 is a size. Any tire with that size should be the same size. If it's not, then there will be safety implications. Are you suggesting that he doesn't know what he's talking about here?

Lastly, the car has had a repaint and I've seen pictures of it published on BWprior to the repaint and here are a couple of observations:

1) This car is not a garage queen, the paint was seriously burnt prior to the paint job. Which meant that the car spent a lot of time sitting outside. This is further reinforced by the color of the dials on the cluster which are a faded yellow instead of a bright orange.

If a car sat outside then all rubber components are going to be shot.

2) Speedo reads MPH and not KPH which means it was at least replaced at the time it was imported. Even though the owner indicated records of every inspection since it was bought into the country. He did not indicate service history or mileage before the car imported. This is a common issue with gray market cars. Often, no one knows what the mileage was when the car was imported or it's service history. If it spent any time in Europe, it needs to be checked for rust.

3) I've owned 7 Euro 107's and they're not much different to US cars in terms of what they need. The seller indicates documentation to prove mileage but also indicates minimal work. As far as I'm concerned, these cars have either had the work done or need it.

Now more importantly, I know Fred and I can tell you that he knows what he's talking about when it comes to buying cars. Since I met him, every car that he has owned has been clean, low mileage and well maintained. He gets them that way and he sends them off in the same way because he's always on top of any work that needs to be done.

Because I know the cars that he buys, I can respectfully say that YOU have no idea what you're talking about.....

Except for this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
The only advice I would give to the seller is to not even bother listing it here. Its a waste of time. No buyers for a car like this. Only know it alls who love to pick things apart, myself included, and seldom pay top dollar for anything.
This is very true. Rarely will anyone buy a car of someone else on a forum without wanting to take the shirt of their back with it.

My intention in posting this is only in response to your comment because I think it was uncalled for and inaccurate. It's not to blow up the sale which I very much doubt that I will given that I do not expect that anyone on this forum or BW would pay this kind of money for this car. It's just the wrong audience.

If the seller is a capitalist and wants to sell this car, then he should consider selling on ebay. It has a global audience and it will sell for whatever real buyers (the market) are prepared to buy it for... Or he can choose to set the price to whatever he wants to set it to and if someone wants it, then that's between the buyer and seller and not me or anyone else, and I wish him luck.

Al