View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
I am not sure which type of Axles you have. The below pic is of a Homokinetic type. You cannot take the Axle apart with out removing one end of those to Can Assemblies.

In order to replace the same Stock Type Boots you need pic one end of the Axle to either cut off the Can or un-crimp the Can.
Pull out the Spider and Balls and use a Hydraulic press to press of that end.
At that point you can slide Boots off and new ones on.

Reverse the procedure except you either use a new Can or if you found a way to un-crimp the old can and you need to crimp that lip over.

Or you can take the easy way out and stretch the Astoria Flexx Boots or Dorman Boots over the Cans and not have to take the Axles apart and not need a Hydraulic Press to do so.
This repair is taking a back seat for now. In the mean time, I was going to research it the shaft from a 1985 300SD will this 84 300D. The reason I am asking is, I still have the 85 a friend of mine left me. I know the shaft on it are new, I helped him install them about a year or so ago. If I can use those it should be a quick repair.