View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 PM
dieselarchitect

Landlord question

Hi all.
Its not too often I am stumped by an issue with a tenant but I had a new one this week. I have a young lady who just moved in who called and said her AC was not working. I went to her apartment and found the thermostat appeared to be dead.

So I called my repairman and discussed what it was doing and asked him to come have a look at it.

So later he calls me and said that in that unit there is a couple of breakers next to the air handler (not in the main panel like all my others pretty much are) and that they had been turned off by my tenant. The air handler is in the laundry pantry and I guess she sat a box down against the breaker and managed to turn it off.

I am inclinded to give her the bill or split it with her.

I am afraid I am somewhat influenced by the fact that she has been very needy and has been calling or emailing nearly every day at least once with a request. Nothing big but it all costs me money and she had the chance to see the apartment before accepting it and did not ask for any of it then, so legally I can just say no to much of it. I feel the need to draw a line in the sand with anything not clearly my obligation because it will never end otherwise. (this was Monday, this morning I got a call from her at 645 and she had managed to lock herself out of her apartment ).

What do you think about the AC repair bill?
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.