View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Pooka

I had an 86 which was the year with Bosch Fuel Injection. As a safety item all Crown Vics, which of course now had electric fuel pump, had a cut off switch for the pump that was a gravity activated switch. In other words... If you rolled the car the weight in the switch would fall and cut power to the fuel pump and you would not be getting sprayed with gasoline while you laid there with a car on top of you.

OK, nothing wrong with that. But the weight would also bounce around if you hit some railroad tracks and the bounce would cause the weight to fly up which, as far as the switch was concerned, was as good as falling down. The effect was if I hit a set of tracks too fast the car would die and then, when the weight had settled down, start back up again. It was over in about one second, but it was always a weird feeling.

By the way... I found that Bosch only sold Ford parts for six months, so if the car you buy is a 1986 with Bosch on it then be ready to wait for any FI parts you might need as no one keeps them in stock. The counter guys could have been telling me a story about this, but the bottom line was they always had Ford FI parts but always had to order the Bosch ones.