View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 AM

CV half axle assessment, boots, ambiguity

Thanks to Diesel 911, vstech, stretch there is a nice thread on this messy DIY aspect of older MB. I will study it before proceeding

The axles on my 300TD with odometer 375K were silent but became incredibly stiff. like the lube had hardened, the boots are near perfect, but that stiffness seems excessive. I replaced them with a series of trashy rebuilds, new ones, all of which failed, ejected the lube, or were (apparently) worn out right out of the box!

I'm considering re boot of the originals since they are known to hold up like crazy, it seems boots fail much more/sooner than steel parts, since commercial rebuild and new ones are poor quality at least in my experience.

Its getting old. Love my MB's but favor my newly aquired dodge 4X4 with cummins diesel engine. People say they get 25mpg. So ...... I just want to get this resolved.

CAn any of you seasoned helpers comment on this picture, odometer 375K, unknown prior replacement history, silent but incredible stffness where they should be quite free. Even new and fresh "rebuild" axles have been noisy, every time, in my experience.

Sounds like reboot is likely to be the best way to go.

Thanks in advance especially from you guys who are so well informed and such methodical observers and great writers...... its hugely helpful....

Last edited by Rocket99; 08-13-2013 at 12:20 PM.