View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Cars and other power equipment have used carbs for well over 110 years. At least with a carb, you can usually see the problem. Its very difficult to trace the electrons moving around inside the chips in the EFI computer.
People have crapped in their pants when they were young too. Doesn't mean that they always should. IMO it is easier to see exactly what is going on when you have a screen shot of what the computer is doing. It is also a lot more precise than say reading plugs when you can see what the O2 sensor is saying. I believe the way to tell if your Jetski carb was "right" was to take it to the middle of the lake, replace the plugs with fresh, start it up, WOT it and read it. Does that tell you idle, mid range? Nope. Just that it was "right" at WOT and therefore MAYBE right at all others. Way too imprecise for me. In my car, I can datalog and see what it is doing. We can also make adjustments to the curve at the right points instead of a "one size fits all" solution. Also checking the carb is way too subjective for my comfort level. I'd much rather have a screen output that shows me as opposed to what looks, sounds or feels ok.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow