Thread: 560SEC...
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Back in the mid 1990s I purchased a 199/261 Pearl black/black leather stock 1991 model WITHOUT the troublesome ASR, and just 50k on the clock, but then again, got it as an "encore" (certified pre-owned) one from a Mercedes Benz dealer in Buena Park - near Dissneyland .. I think it cost me about $40k out the door, but I wanted the last year of it.

I still have it after all this time, but with the help of members of benzworld and perachparts online, I have made a good AMG euro clone type of car out of it, I feel.

It has the following euro/AMG mods on it:

AMG 16" penta wheels and center caps, but Gen I style I think.

AMG headers and downpipes hooked to a NOS Remus exhaust.

Bergwerks original first gear start.

A 2.65 rear end out of a junked 560 SEC AMG car - junked because it was in too poor a condition to be rebuilt, sold off of ebay to a bw member and friend in Atlanta and then to me.

Front euro headlights, headlight wipers, and wiper motors,

Euro tail lights and euro front blinkers

Front and rear euro bumpers (the coupe front ones are rare for Gen II 1986-1991 cars)

And a refurbished euro ECE 300hp high compression engine.

I would like to believe this gives me the best of both worlds, ie, USA spec. safety equipment such as door beams, original US instruments, VIN # though the euro engine, even with new cats, as reqired in this state, passes California easily and every time.

Of course, it took over a dozen years with the help of others here, to find, pay for and install all this stuff. And on ebay both in USA and Germany also.

It also has eibach springs, and a factory w126 skid plate - put on back in 1992, and Bilstein HD shocks; and a euro spec MB fire extinguisher, and a front seat Mercedes Benz "glock box" (oddments roll top box).

And, a euro trunk warning triangle and a 7litre Mercedes Benz brand new) army green fuel jerry can...needed because in those days there were not so many gas stations near the Autobahn as there are now.

But to me it was well worth it. I don't use it very much these days, but it still is a great ride. Don't ask me what all those mods cost, seriatum or in total. You don't want to know, I don't want to find out; but the trick to getting them, was to jump on them right away, and NOT to haggle price.

I repeat: DON'T haggle on the price, just BUY it. Lots of this stuff is practically impossible to find, especially in the USA.

~~~

That said, your choice is personal. But you could buy a 1989- 1991, USA spec model,with the latest factory upgrades, now and set about euro-izing it as time, luck, and your budget, personal preferences and patience allows.

It *CAN* be done:

Good luck in your search..

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)