View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Diesel Fuel Cleaning / Polishing help?

Hi guys,

I have a genset that uses diesel. I just started it up the other day, and took a look in the fuel tank. EEEK!

It's black as night and appears to be contaminated. I am posting here because I know others have encountered the exact same thing with their cars.

Googling around implies that I have algae problems.

Several articles note that simply putting in a biocide will create sludge on the bottom of the tank and make things worse.

Most approaches appear to be either

1) Use filtration (e.g. Racor Filter and water separator, Gulf Coast F1 filter) along with a continuous duty pump to filter out the mess until it is clear and usable.

2) Use a magnetic system (e.g. Algae-X) to expose the algae to rapidly changing magnetic polarity and cause the algae to burst its cell membranes and essentially dissolve into sub-celluar particles that will not harm the engine.

What do you guys recommend?

I'm trying to figure out the easiest, least-expensive way to fix the fuel, short of dumping 30 gallons of diesel and cleaning the tank (only to have this occur again in the future...)

Thanks,

Packman