View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
Those of you who are particularly thorough readers of these pages may recall that I had the head gasket on my 92 300D replaced this past summer at 243k miles. It was an extremely frustrating experience, largely because I kept having to bring the car back due to a lot of careless little things. But, when all was said and done, Milo was back on the road and all seemed well.

My son has had the car at college so I haven't seen it much recently. But today I noticed all manner of oily mess on the right side of the engine. After poking around a bit, I suspected the source was in and around the chain tensioner. So I cleaned that area thoroughly, both the tensioner itself and the parts of the head and block directly beneath the tensioner.

Started the engine, tensioner is bone dry, but there's fresh oil coming out at the "lip" of the head where it meets the block."

My questions:

1. Can this be anything other than a leak in the new head gasket?

2. If, as the mechanic claimed, he used all new head bolts and followed the FSM tightening procedure to the letter, how does something like this happen?

3. Any advice?
To answer all 3 at once ~ Did they test the head to make sure it was flat?
IIRC there is an oil way there some place. I have heard of people putting sealant around it to stop oil leaks.
I would be tentioning the head bolts again & see it that helps.

I no longer question authority, I annoy authority. More effect, less effort....

1967 230-6 auto parts car. rust bucket.
1980 300D now parts car 800k miles
1984 300D 500k miles
1987 250td 160k miles English import
2001 jeep turbo diesel 130k miles
1998 jeep tdi ~ followed me home. Needs a turbo.
1968 Ford F750 truck. 6-354 diesel conversion.
Other toys ~J.D.,Cat & GM ~ mainly earth moving