View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 03:16 PM

Question 78 450 SL- diesel guy stumped

Couldn't find an answer on the classic MB forum-maybe one of you guys can help. I've got 4 diesel MB's and work on them. The problem is my neighbors wife thinks I know everything about all MB's so she bought a 78 450 SL at an estate auction and gave it to me to get it running which is fine. The car is pristine but: 1. the car sat for 8 years and 2. I know nothing about gas injection systems-csi mechanical. Anyway tank filter was plugged with shellac and rust, 14 mm line from tank plugged solid with crud, fuel pump frozen with crud. Put a new tank filter, tank line, fuel pump and fuel filter on. Took all the lines off the fuel distributor and flushed. Took the injectors off and flushed them out with my diesel injector tester. Took spark plugs out, put a little oil in each cylinder turn engine over 5 times and put in new spark plugs. No start. Sprayed some ether in and cranked. Got it running for all of 30 seconds at 1000 rpm then it quit. Fuel is going through all lines on the fuel distributor. Pulled one of the injectors and reconnected to line - seemed to spray fine. Seems to want to start but doesn't. I got a service CD which is totally inadequate and tells me next to nothing. Can one of you guys give me a hint or where can I find a diagram showing a 78 csi injection system.