View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharias View Post

However, thinking it through a bit: If you heard it in the alternator bracket, through the stethoscope, that suggests to me it is coming through the block or from something else close by that would resonate through the bracket.
It was peculiar that the alternator was quiet and it's bracket noisy. I will have another look at that. Will also double check engine mounts. Need to buy a gasket before I do valves. Suppose I could put old one back, so may do them tomorrow if I can't find source of sound.

Will also try with listening tube instead of stethoscope.

Quote:
How old is the water pump? (Was it you who said on another thread you still have the factory one in place?)
I think it is still the original, but not 100% sure because of engine change out. see below. I know they had it off because of bolts leaked when I got car home. I did check pump housing with scope but no noise from there.

Quote:
How many miles since the timing chain was changed?

Do you recall, were the guide and tensioner replaced when the chain was done?
Engine was replaced with used engine about 95k km ago (in 2001). Head rebuilt, block resleeved new chain, new rings etc etc. Most external parts were moved over. Invoice is not in too much detail. Shop just did what ever was needed. All done by a good mechanic in Etobicoke (Euro Cars). I wish he was closer, I would like him to hear the engine. Unfortunately no-one around here that I know of who really knows these engines.