View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aieeegrunt View Post
It was -20 Celsius where I am. Normally under these conditions the car starts with one 20 second glow cycle (I have pencil adaptor plugs). I think sitting for a week in those temps outside was pretty stupid, I guess I got cocky and paid the price. At least I was smart enough to put a charger on the battery, it certainly cranked with great vigor. I knew I was in trouble when the extended cranking didn't create a fog bank of fuel mist.

So either Diesel 911 or I cook some steaks and scatter the coals under the car tonight to thin out the fuel. Magnetic block heater stuck to the passenger side of the block, battery charger and warmer. Is it safe to have a rad hose heater plugged in all night, or should I keep it on the timer to run for three hours?

Going to be -21 tonight oh noes
Cold here too! For first time ever, our Mitsubishi heat pump won't quite keep our house at set temperature.

My 300D had been sitting for about 3 or 4 days. I had to go to dentist this morning, so first started our E320 which had been sitting outdoors for 4 days. No problem there. Decided to try 300D, which is in detached unheated garage. It fired right away, but stumbled a bit, the rpms dropped, but soon picked back up. I suspect I may have had minor gelling. I let it idle for a while then switched off. Later, when I got back home a few hours later, I went out again in the 300D. No problems. Amazing what good compression and good glow plugs will do even at -23C! May. But I would put magnetic heater on if I needed car tomorrow (I have block heater, but need a new cable)

For your car aieeegrunt, I would connect and leave magnetic heater on until you need to drive. I don't think the rad hose heater will do any harm being on, but may be a waste of energy to have both on. Maybe have it come on 3 or 4 hours before you need car. Charging battery is a good idea - it at least keeps it warm while charging and barttery warmer will do same once charger kicks off.