View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 PM
"Unhinged Troll" - Jim B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddog View Post
Thanks for this thread. I'm ramping up to do a m103 head gasket. I have a spare head so my biggest concern is going to be getting the timing right without having cheater marks.
Depending on how many miles your car has, you should consider replacing the timing chain.

Getting the timing correct isn't that hard, and you only have one cam to worry about

Just follow the factory instructions and do your homework with the forum threads here beforehand. Don't skimp on parts - get factory or OE only, particularly for critical parts like the chain and tensioner (if you replace them) and gaskets. DO NOT buy anything URO Parts!!!!! REPLACE all rubber hoses, connectors, vacuum lines, o-rings, etc.

Check your head bolts to be sure they are in spec for re-use. Clean your block mating surface carefully. Clean out and chase your head bolt threads with a metric tap of the correct size and thread pitch.

Also, as your car is a 103 I recommend you have the valve guides and seals replaced, and the head pressure tested, while it's off the car. Incremental work and it will make a world of difference. You don't want to have to pull the head again to do valve guides in a couple of years.

Factory info for the M103 cam timing is attached. You can also access the MB service manuals for the W124 at their Startekinfo.com site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05-2152.pdf (101.3 KB, 434 views)
File Type: pdf 05-2150.pdf (111.0 KB, 325 views)
File Type: pdf 05-2240(1).pdf (82.9 KB, 319 views)
File Type: pdf 05-2230(1).pdf (56.2 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by gerryvz; 01-03-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added service manual information for previous poster.