View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
My 97 has done this right after a starting the engine. It happened 4 times in ~100 engine starts since I've had the car. It seems to not want to shift out of first gear no matter how lightly i feather the accelerator pedal until it hits 2500rpm then BANG next gear and its fine after that for another week.

Last time I noticed that it wasn't upshifting but BEFORE it banged into next gear I came to a complete stop, shift to P then shifted back to D. Perfectly normal shifting after that without ever banging into the next gear. Give it a try.
I took liberty of highlighting the words COMPLETE STOP in tjts1's text because I was told, when I was getting an education from someone more knowledgeable than myself on these electronic trannies, that a guaranteed way to crap up your transmission in these babies was to shift gears while the car was moving, even if barely rolling that's enough to cost you thousands...it places a tremendous force on internal parts that give up and go bye-bye!
DDH