View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Ghost of Diesels Past

M1 Garand time!!!

http://m.imgur.com/a/JQ000?gallery

Well, here she is!! After 3.5 months of waiting it has arrived. I sent in my order on Dec 15th for a Springfield Service Grade and two months later I was on the back order list for the SG. CMP customer service emailed me and asked if I'd take a field grade, which I did in this case and now I'm the proud owner of a 2.7 million serials M1 Garand!

The rifle is a mix of mostly springfield parts with an IHC gas plug and the rest I'll check out when I strip it down for cleaning and greasing. Op rod, bolt, and trigger housing are all springfield. Barrel is not original. It has a date of 12/52 and has a ME of 2 and a TE of 3.

The stock has seen better days but it's most likely an original USGI stock. I thinking about refinishing it or just buying a new unfinished set of walnut from Boyd's or someone and giving it the raw linseed oil treatment.

I kind of want to order another rifle and see what I get but I have a feeling the fiancé would not like that idea. Anyways, please enjoy the photos I have taken. I apologize for not having a large enough light box but I did use a DSLR.