View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Driver, Mercedes-Benz

1. Older Designs

As a matter of fact, I like the designs any MB. It gives a certain classy look and style that grows like good wine. With every design comes a distinct beauty - to some who either hates it (classic Bimmer drivers for instance) or simply love it. However, what sets a well designed MB apart from the rest is the built quality and engine reliability. The older models were somewhat hand-built (hence the roomy engine cabin) while the later designs had compact engine compartments with little space for handy-work. Not to mention, later models had more electronic bugs with it.

I like the 124s, 123s, 116s and 126s, not to mention the R129 and its predecessors. However, the newer models look great too, esp. the 211 - but its a matter of whether it will be as reliable in 10 years time would be anyone's guess. I have the 126 which will turn 20 in a few years more, and it runs along just fine. It's aged a little, but it runs gracefully. Take my colleagues 210, turning 5 this year, and he is already thinking of retiring it. Too heavy for his pocket whenever something lights up.

2. Korean look-alike

We checked out the 2nd generation Ssanyong Chairman, in standard 2.3, standard 2.8, standard 3.2, and extended 3.2. They were all remarkable in the usual 124 robust built, complete with its engine. The MB trademark is distinct in style and in character. The S600L has even a leg rest and the complete works for luxury.

Better value than the MB, but its not 100% original MB.

The test drive produced a similar, if not the same, traits as the 124 E class, but with refinements all round.

Trade in the Chairmans' rounded laurels for the 3 pointed star, and you can't tell the difference. Except the owner.

126 tailed by a 203, 129 leading the pack.