View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Blue View Post
The electronic niceties may be longer lived than we think due to digital electronics technology.

Some may question this due to their experience with analog 80's technology but if you really check thoroughly, digital and microprocessor technology have improved in reliability by several magnitudes.

The issue we then face is that it takes special equipment and proprietal knowledge to interface with the equipment and find any failures that occur. The layman, DIY mechanic is just not going to be able aquire this special equipment so we will be at the mercy of dealership garages. Eventually, this may change though. I remember when emission systems, with all their various vacuum hoses and devices, were a mystery to DIY mechanics. Now, with knowledge and the capability to test most of it, we aren't so "lost in the woods".
Actually there is a good chance that all the electronic stuff may stand up pretty well in comparison to the past. At this point much may depend on the country it is sourced from.

If designed and executed in the orient properly it could be almost fault free. Mercedes has to be aware they have to improve their quality image or be consigned to history as car makers at some point.

Reliabiity and long trouble free periods are a known component of too many brands for them to continue ignoring now. Service costs after warranty are growing so fast it also will become an issue to continue producing problematic cars.

I took the wifes car into the dealer for a safety check yesterday. The law mandates the maximum charge for this service. I wondered how the dealer might try to possibly circumvent it somehow. The car is still under the bumper to bumper warranty so it would have to be a consumable item to replace.

Happy to be disappointed they did not although the bill had some form of corrective accounting from 136.00 to 32.50 that is the legal charge. I sat there waiting for the car examining the very high overhead that was engineered into that operation.

To bear that kind of overhead taking your car in there after warranty has to be similar to getting bent over the fender. There is just too much overhead that customers have to pay for in these larger dealership castles.