View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
So far my bro's W210, which is over 12 years old, has been flawless compared to his 300D that it replaced. Mechanically the 300D drove ok....but it had tons of problems and just about nothing non-powertrain worked other than the drivers power window and headlights....it died from rust etc around 251k. We still have the engine, runs great.

Every single thing still works on his E320, and works well. Suspension is tight, steering is tight, brakes are awesome....sound system and climate are great, interior still perfect....and its coming up on 151k miles. M112 v6 engine is indestructible and gets better mileage with 2x the power than a 617.

Same for my dad's E320....and even my C240 4matic wagon.

No issues with any of them....

Design has improved in a lot of things over the years.

One of the best features of his E320, nearly unstoppable in the snow compared to the 300D. He was able to plow through snow 10" deep at times this past winter without getting stuck thanks to the modern traction control systems.

Electronic cars aren't that scary....problem is most people are scared of technology. I plan on getting myself a full MB laptop at some point so I can do full tinkering and repair to my newer car(s).
I'm not trying to say that all high-tech electronics are unreliable. Just that they will have a hard time surviving until they're 30-35 years-old - the typical age of our vintage 616-617 diesels. And a harder time repairing the electronics when they malfunction. But then most people buying a W210 or a C240 4-matic don't plan on keeping them 'till they achieve antique status.

Happy Motoring, Mark