Thread: Buying Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Merc View Post
Hey everyone,

I have been over on the diesel side of the board for a while, but want to come over here and ask this question. My wife has decided that she really likes the W140 chassis, and we will begin looking at some in the near future to purchase. I am trying to stay away from the diesel ones because of the rod issues, plus my wife is tired of plugging in her 87 300d on winter mornings. I know the W140 chassis spanned a large number of years. What are the year(s) to watch out for if any? Which gas engines seemed to be the most dependable and long-lasting. We are open to really any of the engine options, but don't want a dog in traffic. I was thinking mid-late 90's with under 130,000 miles if possible.

I usually end up fixing most things on my cars, so what are the problem areas I should look for besides the normal used car things I would check? Is there an existing guide out there somewhere which gives advice on the W140? I know when I bought my W124 someone had done a great write-up that was very helpful as we looked. Thanks for any advice!
I think there is a general consensus for the 97-99 models.. no consensus on engine. I am very happy with our s320 with the 104 engine.

Mine was overmaintained and i am the second owner. Oriiginal owner had the front end rubber re-freshed... transmission conductor plate, a/c work. Those were the majors. Minors involved flex discs and some other things i can't remember, although i do have the service records.

in my 18 months of ownership.. i have had to replace the blower motor regulator..50 bucks.. and now i have to repack the wheel bearings at 118k

my air adjustable seats don't work..but i don't need that.. i suspect its the inflatable bags that gave out.

best riding car i have ever owned.. second best was a 94 Q45

1997 s320 154k (what a ride). Sold with 179k miles. Replaced with Hyundai Equus

1994 e320 Cabriolet 108k

1972 280se 4.5 153k Owned for 12 yrs, sorry I sold it

[/SIGPIC]