View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered Biodiesel User

Filling the secondary filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
How do I prefilled the filter with out taking it apart? There is a small filter on the top side of the large one? Can I put fuel in there?
AFAIK, fuel poured into the primary filter hole will not go into the secondary. You have to remove the secondary (large) filter, fill it with fuel, and put it back. You will probably spill a little as it's hard to keep the filter level as you maneuver it into place. BTW, make sure the primary filter has an o-ring; new secondaries come w/o a new o-ring and it's easy to accidentally throw out the o-ring with the old filter. The engine will not start!

I found it convenient to fill about 3/4 full, then put the filter in place with its center bolt finger tight. Next, jam a wooden wedge under the filter to hold it in place while you remove the center bolt. Using a small funnel, complete filling the filter and put the bolt back in place and tighten. Remove the wedge and start the engine. Using some footfeed so that the engine runs at greater than idle will help the engine get over the inevitable stumbles as it works through the few remaining air bubbles.

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970