View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Bought 2001 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with 617 Diesel Transplant. Hot start issue, please help

Well I did it. I bought a 2001 Dodge Dakota extended cab with a 617 turbo diesel. Here's the risky part, it wouldn't start when I bought it. PO said the injection pump was out and that was it. Included in the price was a working used one. The conversion looked like it was quite well done so it didn't take me long to buy and have it on a tow truck.

Got to my mechanics shop and the new IP was put in, nothing... Ugh the new (used) pump was a dud. I bought a rebuilt one and we got it in yesterday and the truck came to life! Engine sounds great when it runs. Was blowing heck of a smoke though, I'm sure that will go away it had been sitting for months.

Now the problem. Once it get's warm it doesn't want to start again. And when it's running it gets too hot and shuts off. We figured out the electric fan (no mechanical one there) wasn't working. So I have ordered a thermostat wiring control for the fan. We did jump it but still couldn't get the engine running again until long time and it was cool

I'm going to replace the glow plug controller with the updated one as there was something wrong with the old one and we had the jump the plugs too. Anyone have any ideas on why the engine runs great but won't start when really hot?

I'm going to replace all the rubber fuel lines next in case there is air leaking in when warm... Thanks for any help! The truck is at my mechanics shop, when it's fixed I'll get pics taken and upload!