View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 05:13 PM

This is how a 126 comes apart

Before starting:

Wash that pig off. There is oil caked on the back of the engine that has been neglected - even if the rest of the engine is acceptable. Blast it at the car wash. I didn't but will next time.

Take a 6mm allen head wrench (not a socket) and cut the short leg and make it shorter.

From above:

1. Open the oil filter housing so it will drain.

From underneath:

1.Pull the electrical connector on the oil pressure sending unit.

2. Pull the oil line banjo bolt to the turbo

3. Pull the center bolt that holds the engine to the motor mount. (mine was missing. I'm hoping the parts car has one.

4. Remove the lower 2 bolts that hold the housing on. I had to leave the back one in the housing. The front came out with a short 6mm allen socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet.

From Above:

1 Disconnect the clip that connects the fuel pedal linkage to the engine and disconnect the linkage.

2. Disconnect the vacuum lines to the VCV and move them out of the way.

3. Pull the upper left bolt using whatever 6mm allen socket you need.

4. Jack the engine up using a block of wood on the oil pan per the FSM.

5 Remove the center bolt. This should be the last one and the housing is free.

Clean, remove the old gasket.

Per 911 Clean the plate & get ready to replace that gasket also. I'll go buy 2 regular bolts perhaps more because the allen heads were a pita.

The mosquitoes are out and I'll quit for now. Hopefully reassembly tomorrow afternoon.
85SD 240K & stopped counting painted, putting bac together. 84SD 180,000. sold to a neighbor and member here but I forget his handle. The 84 is much improved from when I had it. 85TD beginning to repair to DD status. Lots of stuff to do.