View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 07:59 PM

transmission frustration, transmission death

Thanks to diesel don for the help on my transmission vacuum modulator...

Before I jacked up my car, I figured I would test out my transmission without vacuum, to make sure the modulator was the problem. I figured that if I removed the vacuum line, the shifts should be hard, but the revs ought to not increase when shifting. I removed the line, plugged the three way attachment coming out of the white valve on the IP, and drove. There was no real difference at all. I could still drive with a very light foot and have no real slip, and with moderate or full throttle, there was as bad a flare as ever. Coming to a stop I could feel a strong kickdown out of gear that was not present with the vacuum attached.

So, this is the situation, I am hoping that someone can give me some help and advice on what to do.

-Ever since I got the car, I have never noticed more than 2 shifts.

-I got the fluid changed, this is when the flare started.

-I usually drive very lightly, but when I first had the car, I used to drive it hard form a start sometimes... I could floor it and get the revs to probably around the 4500 rpm mark, as it should (with a lot of mnice smoke). Sometime since, something must have happened, as now the shifts are at 2000 RPM, no matter what. The bowden cable is nearly all the way out (I have unscrewed it two whole turns with no help. There arent many threads left before it will be out.

-With vacuum not attached, the flare still happens (I guess this means its really slippage?)

I guess this means that something is wrong with my transmission? Its funny that when I first had the car, the first shift was always hard. I had the fluid and filter changed at the MB dealer, and the shifts got slowly better. I added a few drops of M1 at one point when it was a bit low, but it wasnt much. I then had the fluid and filter replaced after about 25k (just recently), and then the problems began. I had an independent MB shop do the work, so I would guess that the fluid was right (Id guess a quaker state Dexron III fluid). The techs didnt tell me that they noticed anything weird with the fluid, and there was no reason to think so before. They did overfill it a bit, which I pulled out with a topdsider and re-topped it properly with QS dexron III.

Whats my best bet? I dont think I need to do any vacuum fixing, as it seems to be independent. Does anyone know what a dealer would put into an 83 diesel transmission? I would assume a dexron III fluid... Maybe the fluid is the culprit?

Am I screwed and ought to look into getting the trans rebuilt? FOr now if I drive with a light foot, say 1/4 or less throttle, then its ok for the most part. Still cant hit high RPMs until the last shift, but I can minimize flare by acceleration style. But that doesnt fix or address the problem.

So any help would be appreciated. Sorry this post is so long...

JMH
1985 190D (169k)
1991 350SD (113k)
1991 350SD (206k)
1991 300D (228k)
1993 300SD (291k)
1993 300D 2.5T (338k)
1996 Dodge Ram CTD (442k)
1996 Dodge Ram CTD (265k)

Past Diesels:
1983 300D (228K)
1985 300D (233K)