View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 11:45 AM
1979 & 1985 300D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinthesun View Post
Important note about this Vacuum pump issue,if you tend to have this same problem remember that the pump will work fine one moment then fail a short time after, then work fine once again .Trust the readings you have taken of the pump ,the pump will keep giving you the impression that other parts along the system are at fault ,their not . Throwing parts at the issue could double or triple an otherwise simple DIY.Im glad I kepT reworking the issue ,Im use to parts just not working at all ,then replacing them ,the pumps tend to die slowly.
It's pretty easy to identify if other parts are the problem or not, so yes if you get down to it and the pump isn't pumping properly it needs attention. However, 100% of the time for me the pump has not been the issue. It's definitely the least common vacuum issue on these cars. Please understand, I'm not saying pumps don't go bad - obviously they do. However it should be clearly stated in any thread about vacuum pumps that the vast majority of the time the problem stems from leaks, bad diaphragms, etc. Until you have eliminated EVERY one of these other issues the pump is the least of your worries

http://i.imgur.com/LslW733.jpg

The Baja Arizona Oil Burners Send a message if you'd like to join the fun
Left to Right - UberWasser, Iridium, Stuttgart-->Seattle,, mannys9130

Visit the W123 page on iFixit for over 70 helpful DIY guides!