View Single Post
Old 02-12-2003, 12:29 AM

Me Too!

I'v now acomplished this task 3 times, twice on my 123's and once on my 126.

You don't have to remove the motor mount, but it sure makes the job easier. I removed the motor mount and jacked up the engine, and didn't have to loosen the AC compressor. The toughest part of the job was getting the lines loose from the OF housing, and this too is facilitated by the engine being lifted up, more clearance between the OF housing and steering box.

The first two were done in a friends shop (on the 123's) under professional supervision. the third was on a cross country road trip from Ft Myers, FL to WA state. the oil was leaking fast, and was getting sucked through the wheel and onto the driver's side of the car. What a nasty mess! I put a cardboard deflector under the air dam, and somewhat alleviated the "blowout" but still had to make frequent stops to top off the oil level.

I ordered the parts from my Mech. in WA, which were delivered next day to a farm in rural (as if any part of the state isn't) ND. I changed the lines in a really hot and humid garage with lots of clingy flies and much sweat, as well as oil all over. My cousin let me grind down one of his cheap wrenches to hold the nipple on the OF housing, and the job was completed by sunset. ( got the parts at 3pm and sunset is at 8:30!!). Drove from eastern ND to Oregon coast (to drop off my co-driver) in 22 hours with no further problems

The job is done, and now I have leak free MB's!

Happy Motoring

RBM