View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Julio Garcia

Thanks for the information Sam. I should clarify that I did not tighten things as hard as my initial post might lead you to believe. It really was just by hand with no leverage and just enough that it felt like it would be OK. It was less than 7 ft-lb almost certainly.

In any case, here is what I did with this information: I loosened all the bolts and re-tightened them to 55 in-lb all around first and then 88 in-lb all around. The car was not driven at all between my hand-tightening and now. It was like that for maybe 2 hours. I would not expect any damage.

When I loosened the bolts, some of then made a cracking sound (but not all). I wonder if they had thread lock. Should I pull them back out, one at a time, and clean them, dry them, blue thread lock them and re-torque them?

I also cleaned the oily residue around the cover (it had been dribbling down the outside of the transmission dip-stick sheath, all the way to the ground), so I clean that up as well to check for evidence of leakage over the next few weeks.

If it still leaks, I will definitely change the gasket. It looks simple enough. I need to find this "aviation gasket sealant". Never heard of it.

I will re-torque after the car warms up.

Anyway, any additional opinions will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
2008 Hyundai Sonata (wife)
2000 Saturn SL AKA "Gocart" (everyone)