View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM

And there's more

Clever tool cribbed from google images from another benz forum
I used a tire iron as a puller. I had an old one that I didn't need. I thought it would be strong enough...

Here is the business end of the sleeve puller. 1.5" fender washer with 1/4" hole. I shaved down the washer to 1.47" using an electric drill with a bolt through the middle of the washer and a file (hillbilly lathe). Note the backup washer behind the nut. This is important...I folded up my first fender washer. Also note peened 1/4-20 rod end...you don't want the nut falling off into the tranny.

Final result. It's out. Tire iron was strong enough...just barely.

What did I learn? Well, I'm pretty dumb. I should have just left the steel bushing in and used a new B2 piston. The little shoulder I saw in the sleeve was indeed part of the sleeve and not the tranny wall. It has an unmachined step in it. Intentionally. The polished part looked just fine. I thought I was looking at gouging but I was looking at an unmachined groove. You can see the two inner surfaces on the sleeve.

I didn't drop the pan though I did drain the fluid. Perfectly clean mobil 1 synthetic ATF $$$ down the drain. I was pleasantly surprised to find it at O'reilly for $10/qt. I haven't put it all back together but I think I'll try to hold the dogbone in place on the band using grease and then inserting the piston over it.

I didn't remove the pipe. I think the W126 has this advantage. There was room, not much, but enough after I dropped the center support on the tranny. I usually fool myself into taking these shortcuts...removing everything may have made things easier. I'm naturally lazy.

Heck, I know, it may have broken again, but it lasted 200k so there. I won't own this car that long. I've learned a long time ago these cars last longer than we want to look at them. The tragedy of my life is I'll never get to experience a new car after getting one of these diesels. Kind of like marrying the perfect wife out of high school.
85 300D Turbodiesel 170k miles