View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 04:46 PM

There's an interesting story behind those colors.

When I got Truck (the Dodge) he was black. Living in The Southland you learn NOT to have black or any dark color over your head - you'll get cooked for sure. That's why you see so many white, silver, or light fawn colored cars around here and further South.

So the top needed to get painted. I ruled out white as the truck would look like a cop vehicle. I considered a light silver but my wife HATES black and silver (old HS issue). Fawn didn't excite me. So I was looking thru a color book at a paint store (there must be 10,000 colors available) and saw a 2011 Nissan green that I liked but it needed more metallic to be really attractive. For some dumb reason I decided to have MAACO shoot the color so they brewed up the Nissan green/silver toner paint. Their painter didn't want to shoot the paint ("That'll look like crap") but I insisted. Once it was shot everyone including the painter was saying "Dang, that looks GREAT!"

I dinged a door and found out that the MAACO franchise had changed hands and the guys who mixed and shot my paint hadn't saved the formula. REALLY annoying! But by then I'd made friends with a guy at the local PPG store and we worked to brew up a good match. Now the formula is on file so I can get all I want whenever I want it.

I REALLY like that combination and now everyone knows me by my truck. It stands out in the parking lot and is the only one on the planet. So when it came time to paint Mutt it was a no-brainer. I think I'll keep that as my livery from here on.

Dan