View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
It's too early to know how good these cars will be. I'll be interested in the GLK and E250 once they depreciate enough. What concerns me is the mechanical complications of the engine and the ad Blu system. If you run low on the ad blu juice, it will give you a warning of a certain number of starts before it shuts down. All this stuff does is help with emissions, to have it disable the car is just moronic.... Owners have reported malfunctions with the system thinking its empty when it's not.

The engine bares no resemblance to what you would find in a tractor like previous generations. 2 turbos, 2 balance shafts (smooth idle but known to fail and require engine tear-down), and some very fancy injectors. Who know how well they will hold up considering the extremely high 29,000 PSI this engine needs to get the high performance out of a little 4 banger.....
The OM651 has been around since 2008 IIRC, that's not exactly an eternity but its closing in on a decade now and I'd guess there are more than a few higher mile examples out there. I've heard of some early issues (like 2009-2010) with the delphi piezo injectors, lots of recalls and I think Mercedes actually went back to the earlier magnetic solenoid injector system used on the earlier CDI's for a few years. The balance shaft issue you speak of was confined to the early production M272/M273 balance shafts wasn't it? I haven't heard of any issues with balance shafts in the OM651 engines. BTW the balance shafts on the OM651 are very cleverly engineered, just like the rest of the engine IMHO.

I have also heard of the faulty ad-blue warning level issues but as I recall that was resolved with a software update, haven't heard anything recently about that issue. I do agree that having the system shut down when the ad-blue is depleted is a bit extreme but I'm guessing the EPA mandated that one, in the real world its not that big an issue since the ad-blue tank has enough capacity to last 14-18K miles in normal service. You just top-up the ad-blue tank at every oil change and you'll never get close to facing the issue of a mandated engine shut-down. Our GLK250 has been consuming 5-6 gallons of ad-blue at 10K oil change intervals. You can but ad-blue for $2-3 a gallon at any truck stop, AutoZone or NAPA.

The spare tire thing is kind of a pain but its not a deal breaker for me, heck most of the newer MB's have a space-saver spare that's only good for 100 miles at 50MPH anyway.

The OM651 is an astounding motor, it exactly matches the 3.2 liter OM648 in horsepower and torque with only 2.1 liters of displacement. It's also as smooth as the OM648, more economical and has less turbo lag.

I've logged many miles in OM616 engine cars and it's hard to believe how much progress has been made over the last 30-40 years.
16 C300 (62K)
82 300GD Gelaendewagen (54K)