View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM

'82 300SD-184K-Time to Roll in a New Chain?

Hi,

I have been thinking of have a local indy do this for me after I purchase a chain.

I'm not sure if it is time to do it or not. I have not checked stretch and don't have patience to do that nor the tools required.

The local indy in Anderson SC, quoted me 4.5 hours labor at $90 per hour but said he would roll in new chain if I provide it and also adjust valves for a total of $427 plus tax.

I need L and R upper control arms put on. Those are ordered.

I've put 30K on car and have not done valve adjustment so it needs to be done however car starts and runs fine. I use to do stuff like this but I don't any longer.

He has the crimping tools and his Dad has run the shop for decades and their name is Waters. Classic Car Repairs. Son is Mike.

My concern is the fact there is a bottom chain too and would it be best pulling engine to do both chains or is this over-kill?

I wonder if the bottom chain fails after the top chain is renewed. I guess it has.

Anway, just kicking it around a bit in my head.

I'd let a forum person do it if anybody was into this sort of work and is within a few hours drive.

I'm in NW corner of SC.

Sort of undecided right now. Now doing shocks and upper front struts. You know how it is you start and keep going.

Anyway, there you have it.

Steve