View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Update:

The laserline alarm has been disconnected. It was located behind the glove box!

That has helped with *some* of the starting issues, but not all of them. The lights no longer go on/off, but now the wiper still goes on by itself and the car *occasionally* turns over quite slowly and sometimes it starts but sometimes I need a jump. Three days ago, I installed a new voltage regulator and was so certain this was the solution to the problem, but after driving the car several hundred miles this weekend it appears this is not the issue. I needed a jump one time as the battery went flat after cranking it for 20-40 seconds, and another time turned over but only eventually started.

When the car is running, according to my multimeter, the battery is at 13v between posts as well as post to alternator. It's at 12 with the car off between posts and post to ground. My multimeter is an old one and apparently only shows whole numbers (no decimals). Something is working with the alternator/voltage regulator, but either it's not working 100% or there is some other gremlin draining the battery while the car is turned off.

I've tried to do some testing to reveal parasitic loss, but my brain is fried at the moment.

Any ideas are *greatly* appreciated.

1982 240D LHD/RHD & 300TD LHD / 1983 300SD LHD / 1986 300SDL LHD / 1992 300TD RHD / 1998 C250 TD RHD

www.repaircafeglasgow.org